Friday, September 4, 2009

An Introduction

Hello and welcome to my blog.


My name is Mark Boles and I am a 17 year veteran of the marketing industry in a career touching nearly every discipline from PR to advertising, direct marketing, business-to-business and research. From my early days in my career, I’ve always leaned towards strategy and less towards execution but you earn your stripes through execution. Fortunately I figured that out in time to have a fairly productive run and throughout my career what I’m most proud of is that I’ve learned a few things along the way.


This blog is an opportunity for me to espouse my wisdom on all things related to marketing. I do this largely to do a few things. The three most pertinent are to provide some insight into my marketing beliefs and philosophy, create discussion around how the marketing industry has evolved even in the very brief 17 years that I’ve been in it and to confront some personal demons with writing and legacy.


The discipline of writing to me is not easy and I say this having been the only “jock” in the family born to a family of intellectuals and academics. Oh, and a father who was a beat generation writer, published before the age of 21 who hung out with the likes of Kurt Vonnegut and Jack Kerouac. To say I have issues with writing is an understatement.


With that being said, here goes nothing.


As for the title of the blog, some will get it immediately. It might be considered a bit of an arcane pop culture reference. It comes from an old Sesame Street short where a mother gives her daughter some money and a grocery list and dispatches her to the grocery store to get a loaf of bread, a container of milk and a stick of butter.


I wanted a blog name that was unique yet relevant. I felt it was unique because it is a bit of an arcane pop culture reference that many around my age say plus or minus five years might know. I also chose it because my job as a marketing professional is to help consumers remember my client’s products and in an ideal world perhaps establish some loyalty to them.


Thanks for taking the time to check out my blog and I look forward to the discourse that I’m sure I’ll inspire.

No comments:

Post a Comment